PendemPradeep Pendem is a fourth year doctoral candidate in Operations Management at Kenan-Flagler Business School. His hometown is Visakhapatnam in the state of Andhra Pradesh, South India.

1. What made you choose UNC/NC when deciding on a program/place to study?

I was selected to some of the top business school PhD programs in the U.S.  – UNC Kenan-Flagler, Cornell, Georgia Tech, to name a few. Research rankings, weather and lifestyle were primary factors for my choice to come to UNC. Worldwide, Kenan-Flagler ranks among the top five schools in operations management research. Having lived in crowded Indian cities for such a long time, I wanted to move to a smaller city with warm weather. Undoubtedly, UNC was the best choice. Chapel Hill has been my home for the last four years and I love this place.

1. What is the most different thing you’ve seen or experienced since being here in comparison to your home country?

First, everyone is busy all the time with their mobile phones. I find that people here talk very little in person. Second, seeing cars driving on the right side of the road. In India, cars drive on the left of the road. Though it sounds funny, during my initial days in the U.S., I had to stop and think for a moment about which side of the road I needed to wait on to catch public transport. Third, almost everyone owns a car here which is not common in India.

1. What is something you wish you had known before moving here?

Definitely car driving!

1. Where is a place in your home country that every tourist should visit and why?

I actually have not been to many tourist places. India is a huge country with multiple unique places to visit. If I have to suggest one it would be the monuments and ruins of Hampi, South India. The place is historical, home to the ancient kingdom of Vijayanagar (before 1500 AD) and it is a UN World Heritage site. A tourist would be amazed by its ancient and beautiful architectural brilliance, and the temples and canals.