Ina Falkeid is a second year Master’s student in American Studies, on an exchange program from the University of Oslo, Norway. She is from a small, coastal town in the southwest of Norway called Haugesund. 

1. What made you choose UNC/NC when deciding on a program/place to study?

I chose UNC Chapel Hill because it has a program for American Studies and because it is a Public Ivy with an excellent reputation. Also, I wanted to do research on mass incarceration in the South, so UNC Chapel Hill was the perfect choice for me.

2. What is the most different thing you’ve seen or experienced since being here in comparison to your home country?

The socioeconomic differences between people here are big and visible as compared to what I’m used to seeing in Norway. On a more positive note, people here are very warm, friendly, and polite, which is something I really appreciate.

3. What is something you wish you had known before moving here?

I wish I had known about all the scholarship opportunities that are available to UNC graduate students.

4. Where is a place in your home country that every tourist should visit and why?

Being from the West Coast of Norway, I have to say that all tourists should see and experience the Fjords that we are so lucky to have. I do have to add, though, that Lofoten in Northern Norway is a must! Both the Fjords and Lofoten offer wonderful, untouched scenic nature. I wish everyone could experience the clean nature and breathe in the fresh sea air blowing around in these places.