Pablo Miño

Pablo Miño is a first-year Ph.D. student at the School of Media and Journalism originally from Santiago, Chile.

What made you choose UNC/NC when deciding on a program/place to study?

Location! I wanted to come to a place with top-notch higher academic institutions but that could allow my family and I to leave peacefully. I have truly found that here in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. My family and I feel very welcomed and have found a truly supportive community at UNC.

What is the most different thing you’ve seen or experienced since being here in comparison to your home country?

I come from a big city (Santiago, Chile) so landing at RDU was a huge shock for us – the amount of trees that we could see from the airplane was absolutely amazing! Chapel Hill in particular is way more quiet than Santiago.

What is something you wish you had known before moving here?

How expensive can be to afford health insurance – specifically if you come as an international student with dependents, such as spouse and children.

 Where is a place in your home country that every tourist should visit and why?

San Pedro de Atacama! Torres del Paine! Chile is characterized for being a very long and thin country at the end of South America. Our geography has blessed us with a wide variety of climates that hold the driest desert in the world in the northern part of the country (Atacama desert) and some of the most breathtaking mountains and glaciers in the south (Torres del Paine).