Bannie Pan

Bannie Pan is a global grad from Taipei, Taiwan. He is in his second year of the Master’s program in Strategic Communication at the School of Media and Journalism.

What made you choose UNC/NC when deciding on a program/place to study?

I chose UNC because the program I’m in best aligns with my professional interest in advertising. I was inspired by many of the highly regarded professors in the school and the industry connections they have. Also, there’s isn’t a bigger basketball school than UNC. #GDTBATH

What is the most different thing you’ve seen or experienced since being here in comparison to your home country?

Having lived in busy urban cities for most of my life, I found the ‘pace’ of living to be slower. Perhaps I walk too fast, or perhaps people here know how to enjoy a different pace of life.

What is something you wish you had known before moving here?

I wish I was prepared to drive so much here. Back home, I was very spoilt by public transportation like buses and metros. Now, I can’t imagine getting anywhere without driving!

Where is a place in your home country that every tourist should visit and why?

Taipei is a foodie paradise, cultural hub, and global city. My favorite places to get lost in are the night markets around the city. I’m also a huge noodles fanatic, so I can definitely make some slurpy recommendations.