Sinan Yorukoglu is an international student studying statistics and operation who has built community at Carolina through events on campus and meeting new people.

Where do you consider to be your hometown:

Ankara, Turkey Sinan Yorukoglu standing in front of a body of water.

What is your degree program?

Ph.D. in statistics and operations research

What motivates you?

I am motivated the most when I work on something that touches on a real-life problem. Tackling a really difficult question, knowing the reward of finally being able to “solve” it is also a driving factor for me.

Why did you choose UNC-Chapel Hill?

The STOR department and UNC-Chapel Hill are one of the higher-ranked schools in my area of interest. When I was applying, I also saw there are many collaboration opportunities across the campus with other departments, which I’m actually utilizing in my research. Finally, the whole Triangle area with other universities was another factor for me to consider here.

How have you built community at Carolina?

I have tried to attend as many of the community-building events and activities on campus to meet new people. Global Grads and DSS is definitely major part of that. I’ve also been participating in intramural sports, even initiated a Futsal team with my friends at STOR last fall!

Describe DSS in five words!

Community building with food and fun