- This event has passed.
Carolina Grad Student F1RSTS: Being First-Gen–Stress and Resilience
Tuesday, September 25, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Stress is your body’s way of responding to demands and/or threats whether real or imagined and can be both positive as well as negative. Stress can also accumulate over time and start to have a significant effect on health and well-being. When stress outweighs our resources, we find ourselves in a state of collapse. Resilience is the capacity to recover quickly from stress. As a whole, resilience is a factor that can deflect the state of collapse and is a marker for wellness. First generation graduate and professional students experience a unique set of stressors. This training will focus on the mitigating factors that compound stress for first generation students and ways to manage them.
- Be able to identify stress factors
- Learn about stress theory and accumulated stress
- Learn concrete ways of managing stress
- Learns activities and exercises that will help develop stress tolerance and resilience
- Develop a community of support and form partnerships to for support reach out to in times of high stress
Snacks will be provided. Please REGISTER by Monday, September 24th.