- This event has passed.
DSS Wellness: Stress & Resilience- Creating a Wellness Plan
Tuesday, February 12, 2019 @ 2:30 pm - 4:00 pm
Stress is your body’s way of responding to demands and/or threats whether real or imagined and can be both positive as well as negative. Stress can also accumulate over time and start to have a significant effect on health and wellbeing. When stress outweighs our resources, we find ourselves in a state of collapse. Resilience is the capacity to recover quickly from stress. As a whole, resilience is a factor that can deflect the state of collapse and is a marker for wellness. Graduate and professional students experience a unique set of stressors. This training will focus on the mitigating factors that compound stress for grad students and ways to manage them.
- Review information learned about stress theory, accumulated stress, and physiological changes
- Utilize their understanding of their personal Adverse Childhood Experiences Scale (ACES) score to understand how their body experiences stress
- Develop a personalized wellness plan focusing on the dimensions of wellness that need to be developed further
- Learn ways of incorporating wellness into daily and hourly activities to ensure effective stress coping and management and avoid accumulation of stress
- Be able to identify ways to incorporate wellness as a lifestyle
Snacks will be provided.