Diversity and Student Success
Diverse experiences, backgrounds, viewpoints, and contributions are key elements for the success of any enterprise. The Graduate School at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is committed to sustaining a diverse graduate student body and fostering a climate of inclusion and acceptance. We aim to contribute to the successful degree completion of each student through targeted academic and professional development programs.
The Graduate School broadly defines diversity to include, but is not limited to: racial/ethnic diversity, first-generation, international, LGBTQIA+, or military-affiliated
The Graduate School’s Diversity and Student Success program has implemented several initiatives across campus for the success of our graduate student body. Recognizing the intersectionality of identity, students are welcome to take advantage of as many initiatives as appropriate.
- CGSF – Carolina Grad Student F1RSTS
- Global Grads
- IME – Initiative for Minority Excellence
- MAGS – Military-Affiliated Grads
- QGAPS – Queer Graduate and Professional Students
The Graduate School is committed to a diverse graduate study body and through DSS, is involved in broad recruitment efforts. We welcome the opportunity to work with programs/departments/schools with the efforts below as well as in strategizing their recruitment endeavors.
- Summer Undergraduate Pipeline (SUP): Graduate School application fee waiver available through this effort.
- Diverse Student Travel Recruitment: Funding to assist with the cost of bringing potential students to the UNC-Chapel Hill campus for recruiting purposes. These awards are aimed to assist with increasing student diversity in master’s and doctoral degree programs. Departments/Programs MUST NOMINATE student(s) via a new online application system.
- Diversity Off-Site Recruitment (DOSR): Funding to assist departments/programs with travel related to recruitment purposes. This is an effort to assist with increasing student diversity in master’s and doctoral degree programs. CONTACT Kathy Wood | email@example.com or Maria Erb | firstname.lastname@example.org to apply