Dharitri Shah is a global grad from Gujarat, India. She is in the second year of the Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) program in the Gillings School of Global Public Health.

1. What made you choose UNC/NC when deciding on a program/place to study?

UNC was my top choice among all the universities I was interested in, for two reasons: 1) The program that I am pursuing is highly ranked in the country, and 2) Most importantly, I felt welcomed as a global grad student and was sure that I would find the resources to become a part of this place.

2. What is the most different thing you’ve seen or experienced since being here, in comparison to your home country?

The most different thing that I have experienced, and which I really appreciate, is the broad-minded outlook of people and their respect for each other’s time and space.

1. What is something you wish you had known before moving here?

Being an extremely social person, I wish I had known that it would not be easy to establish a close bond with many folks! Though southern people are friendly, and I am getting closer to them, I feel the difference!

1. Where is a place in your home country that every tourist should visit and why?

I would say India has numerous places with unparalleled beauty, which are very well-developed for tourists. But one place which is a must-visit is the Taj Mahal at Agra. The Taj is not only a symbol of love but it’s an experience of its own kind. Its exquisite craftsmanship is simply mesmerizing. The romanticism and sheer majesty of the structure is unbelievable! No wonder it’s chosen among the world’s top wonders.