First-generation graduate student Lisa Pham is motivated to pursue graduate school based on her family’s love of food and the connections that can come from sharing a meal.

Where do you consider to be your hometown?

I lived for the majority of my life in Hickory, North Carolina. I consider Los Angeles, California to be home because that’s most of my extensive family reside. Lisa Pham

What is your degree program?

Master’s degree in public health; nutrition concentration

What motivates you?

My motivations are my friends, family, and the community. My parents display their love through food. Therefore, food has always been a form of connection for me. By sharing a meal, we tap into a source of deep connection. Food security ties everything together, so if individuals do not have access to food, that can impact their relationship and the world. I hope to alleviate hunger and change the food system by addressing the historical and current effect of structural racism on our food and agricultural systems.

Why did you choose UNC-Chapel Hill?

I picked UNC-Chapel Hill because they have an excellent MPH program and professors whose passion lies with food security among marginalized populations that I hope to work with. Another reason is that I also want to be close to my parents.

How have you built community at Carolina?

I built a community at Carolina by creating a circle of supportive friends passionate about public health. I joined organizations to keep my connection with Carolina and its community. DSS also has helped me connect with other first-gen students!

Describe Diversity and Student Success in five words!

Supportive, welcoming, home, fun, access